The following is an example of how to securely transfer business data located on the cloud, on the mainframe, or in a hybrid or homegrown environment to (or from) an application running on OpenShift, on-demand. The solution also supports cluster scenarios, delivering data simultaneously to all PODs related to an application, or just to the one with the lightest current load.
The solution developed by Stonebranch also allows users to schedule their applications running on OpenShift in the same way as applications running in the cloud, on a (virtual) server, or on the mainframe, including all the benefits of an application deployed on the OpenShift orchestration platform. Applications on OpenShift can also easily be integrated into any current business process automation flow already consisting of both OpenShift and non-OpenShift applications, such as an SAP order-to-cash process.
The Case: AXA
World-leading insurance company AXA provides its agents and customers with various insurance-related self-service applications through their web portal. To ensure that these applications run stably, even with a high number of parallel requests, they are set up in a highly scalable OpenShift environment hosted on-premise and on public clouds.
These various applications are run in containers in an OpenShift POD. They require access to business data from multiple sources and types of environments. These applications must also provide data to connected systems, like SAP business warehouse, when queried by the end user.
Stonebranch’s solution therefore needed to perform the following required functions:
- Transfer files from the mainframe to all started OpenShift PODs related to an application
- Transfer files from an application in OpenShift to an application within the internal IT landscape, e.g. SAP business warehouse
- Transfer a file from any cloud storage to all OpenShift PODs related to an app (and vice versa)
- Trigger a file transfer from a 3rd party web app located in an OpenPaaS landscape
- Cloud-based, secure and high available solution